View Single Post
Old August 16 2013, 03:10 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: where no one has gone before?!?!

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
Let's make a rough estimate here... Andromeda is approximately 2.5 million light-years from us. Let's triple that as a rough guess -- let's say 8 million light-years -- if the E-D is three galaxies away. That's over 26,000 light-years per year. That'd make Voyager's trip only 3 years. That's also 73 light-years per day. So one could get to Vulcan (16 lys from Earth) in just 5 hours.
M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
We don't know how far away the Enterprise is, though.
3 galaxies away can mean anything.
If I say I'm 3 countries away in Europe, that's, what, a day of driving in a car?
Now say that in North America.
The episode says they ended up in the galaxy M-33, which Data says is 2.7 million light-years from their previous position.

Where No One... wrote:
PICARD: Position, Mister La Forge.
LAFORGE: Well, sir, according to these calculations, we've not only left our own galaxy, but passed through two others, ending up on the far side of Triangulum. The galaxy known as M Thirty Three.
PICARD: That's not possible. Data, what distance have we travelled?
DATA: Two million seven hundred thousand light years.
PICARD: I can't accept that.
DATA: You must, sir. Our comparisons show it to be completely accurate.
LAFORGE: And I calculate that at maximum warp, sir it would take over three hundred years to get home.
This is from Universe Today...

Universe Today wrote:
Gieren et al. observed 26 Cepheids in M33 and established a distance of ~2,740,000 lightyears. The team added that, “As the first modern near-infrared Cepheid study [of] M33 since … some 30 years … we consider this work as long overdue …” Astronomers often cite distances to objects in lightyears, which defines the time required for light emitted from the source to reach the observer. Despite the (finite) speed of light being 300,000,000 m/s, the rays must traverse “astronomical” distances. Gazing into space affords one the unique opportunity to peer back in time.