View Single Post
Old August 16 2013, 03:01 PM   #14
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: Starting Breaking Bad (NO SPOILERS!)

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
I like these kind of morally ambiguous shows, but it's important for me that the "hero" does horrible things for a noble reason. Like in The Shield or Dexter. I could never enjoy Sopranos because the "heroes" were no better than the "bad guys", they had no morality. So in addition to just making money for his family, I'd love to see Walter work with the DEA to take down other drug lords or something like that.
As others have hinted, this is not that kind of show. Creator Vince Gilligan developed the character of Walter White with the intention of exploring a very specific kind of dramatic arc, and what you suggest would muddy it. You'll have a better ride if you go in without expectations.

Also,
This. It is worth remembering, if you're looking for morally upstanding or at least broadly redeemable characters, that there is more to the show than Walter himself. I can't say much more without spoiling later plot developments. Breaking Bad has a rare, perhaps unique approach which is quite different to Dexter and its ilk. It's not an anti-hero show. The title of the show is very appropriate.