View Single Post
Old August 16 2013, 02:12 PM   #128
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
DonIago wrote: View Post
When I go to see a Star Trek movie I want something larger in scope than an episode of the series.
Luckily I don't have that problem. I like smaller films on the big screen as well.
I don't have a problem with smaller films either, but they need to be a lot more personal than larger scope films. The Wolverine, for example, worked because it revolved around Logan's death wish and guilt over killing Jean in X-men 3. Insurrection doesn't work as a small scope film because the focus is divided up among the cast at different points and there are no real personal stakes/motivations for Picard beyond getting laid and risking his career (which he's already done before and got cleared, so we know he's not going to lose). Sure, upholding his principles is a noble thing, but the guy already said "Sometimes the moral thing to do is not the smart thing to do" in Descent, Part 1. And then there's the hypocrisy with the Maquis thing, which just makes Picard look like a (possibly racist) asshole.