View Single Post
Old August 16 2013, 04:10 AM   #59
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Nearly-Disastrous Start to the David Tennant Era

Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
Updating into bs? Why?
Can't help you there, I thought it was terrific and I was thoroughly entertained by it.

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
"The fantastic and the mundane cohabit" is one definition of science fiction in general, not just Doctor Who. That's a given, and that's not my point. It's RTD's focus in his storytelling that's the problem. What he thought was important about certain characters, what he thought the audience would like and get into, wasn't necessarily true. And it took him a long time to realize it.
With all due respect, I think you're making a wrong assumption here. Under RTD, Doctor Who the series, Rose the character and that particular storyline were very popular. Some very vocal fans have expressed a different opinion, but they are not "the audience" and therefore there was nothing for RTD to realize. I think he made the right choice and that it worked very well.

I would also argue that the blend of the fantastic and the mundane in Doctor Who is something that is very distinctive, and not just an iteration of a generic science-fiction trope.