View Single Post
Old August 16 2013, 02:11 AM   #31
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: "Ducktales Remastered" (from 1989) in HD this summer

I bought it. I have only hazy memories of the NES original, so I can't really compare it to that-- the reviews I've read seem split on whether the changes improve the game or chip away at its distinctiveness. But I'm having fun. It's still a challenging game, certainly, if the African Mines are anything to go by. I'll have to try a different level tonight.

I agree with the reviews arguing that the constant cutscenes get a little grating, and I say that as someone who has a lot of nostalgia for the TV show and loves hearing Alan Young do Scrooge. (But then I feel that a lot of modern games get the cutscene/gameplay balance wrong.) The backgrounds are nice, and the character models are very good... when they're static. When they're moving in cutscenes, they can seem a bit stiff, as if they're those little felt puppets being moved around. It seems cheap, which the rest of the game doesn't. Overall, if you're not a big enough fan of the show to get a kick out of the new story material, it may not be worth a purchase.