View Single Post
Old August 15 2013, 11:08 PM   #54
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Oberth Class the missing link between Enterprise and Reliant

B.J. wrote: View Post
And I just don't see the saucer being at all separable - it looks way too integrated to me, especially at the port and starboard edges, where it blends into the "sled" portion. This should help:

The fillet radius (the feature pointed to with the red arrow in the B/W pic) looks like it might just be part of the "sled" when viewed from above, as you can see in the lower right pic of the studio model. But when viewed from below, you can see that this feature blends into the saucer, and the "sled" portion just cuts straight across below it. It would mean that the lower surface of the saucer is not coplanar with the upper surface of the sled.

I wish there were some better pics of the studio model, but it looks like the upper surface of the "sled" portion is actually the same surface as the floor of the three bays in the saucer.
Now I see (literally) better, thanks. But to me this doesn't really look too integrated, more like a structure which rejoins with the saucer for what is possibly a slight improvement of warp performance (i.e. it rather seems to have characteristics of a modern passenger plane's winglet).

Another odd feature are these horizontal intakes (or whatever these are) at the bow of he "warp sled". Have we ever seen this feature on a post-TOS ship?

And of course the odd silver cylinders at the front caps of the nacelles plus the silver "balls" sticking out from the sled's bottom (probably cylindes extending from the top to the bottom). Have we ever seen this feature on a post-TOS ship?

It has been mentioned that the caps of the nacelles suggest a late 23rd Century design (based on Excelsior's similar but not identical front caps?). I don't see it.

However I'm not that biased not to admit that the pylons' "emergency flush intakes" invoke unmistakable late 23rd Century allusions, because they're the same "flush intakes" as in the pylons of he TMP Enterprise and Reliant, apparently absent on the TOS Enterprise.

But I'm afraid I can only accept this argument if you concur with my theory that the nacelle caps of the TOS Enterprise are not Bussard Ramscoops.

Should you feel these are Bussard Ramscoops then you are aware that the ramscoop idea (design property: glowing orange red) was dropped with the TMP Enterprise and the Excelsior and didn't have an onscreen comeback prior to the Ambassador Class.

Then it would stand to reason that the emergency flush intakes could have been an older concept, featured in the Oberth Class, dropped with the TOS Enterprise before their comeback aboard the TMP Enterprise.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote