View Single Post
Old August 15 2013, 08:00 PM   #21
KaraBear
Captain

Re: common misconceptions about Voyager

The Emissary wrote: View Post
There is something very off about that list...

I understand VOY fans get annoyed that their show gets a lot of criticism, but a lot of it is not undue. The issue of Janeway breaking the Prime Directive wasn't just that she did it an insane amount of times. As you pointed out, all the captains break it or "bend" it from time to time. The issue was that Janeway was especially egregious about it in really twisted or flippant ways. I don't fully blame it on the Janeway character. A lot of it was the writers being inconsistent. One episode they needed her to be a firm by the book captain and another she had to be the "i don't respond well to bullies! Mr. Paris? Plot a course THROUGH their space!" type captain. It made her look extremely bi-polar.

One example I see not on your (or Memory Alpha's) list is Tuvix. He was a new and unique life form and she had him murdered. Yes, MURDERED. Even the EMH refused to go through the procedure because he knew he was killing a life form. I'm pretty sure going and out and seeking new life forms does not extent to killing them...

That list seems to include only examples were it was outright stated the Prime Directive was involved...
Tuvix was more of a moral issue than a prime directive. Killing him does not interfere with the development of any culture

the interesting thing I've noticed about people who claim that she broke the prime directive can either never give a list of all those times they claim it happened or they use their negative opinion of the show in general to twist events to make them suit their negative view point
KaraBear is offline   Reply With Quote