View Single Post
Old August 15 2013, 07:40 PM   #85
sariel2005
Lieutenant

Re: Could stardates make some sense?

And sure, Abrams's scheme is the only one that has any real chronological coherence to it, but it's problematical in other ways. As I said, why even call them stardates when they're really just Gregorian calendar dates expressed in a slightly different format? Although I can see why they did it. The movies are designed to be accessible to a new audience, viewers who aren't already familiar with the universe, so just using years for stardates is a handy, quick way to let the audience know that the first movie began in 2233 and took place mainly in 2258 and that the older version of that guy with the pointy ears came back in time from 2387. So from that standpoint I can see the practicality of it. But in-universe it's harder to justify.
Got to agree it makes little sense in that regard, then again having a 1000 unit system for Stardates that runs along the gregorian calendar is just as silly, especially since they continue to use 24 hour days and nights.

Then again if it weren't for TNG season 1 I would be totally behind stardate order for episodes.
sariel2005 is offline   Reply With Quote