View Single Post
Old August 15 2013, 01:52 PM   #24
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Untangling the various Trek Universes

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
drt wrote: View Post
Anymore, I've started considering the following as occuring in separate universes:

1. ST/TAS/TMP
2. TWOK/TSFS/TVH/TFF/TUC
3. TNG(and its movies)/DS9/VOY
4. ENT/ST09/STID
Mostly I agree with this assessment. Nick Meyer's Trek is his own Trek reboot, completely different from Roddenberry's Trek, but still a valid interpretation. I'll never understand the need for some fans to reconcile all the variants of Trek into one cohesive whole (though clearly I'm in the minority). Each interpretation of Trek is best enjoyed on its own merits. Meyer's military Starfleet stands in stark contrast to Roddenberry's non-military Starfleet (and Roddenberry's own ideas about the show changed over the years).
Yet how do you explain all the crossovers if the reboots are "comletely separate"? I agree 100% that the goalposts keep being moved (something I actually enjoy, it thows everything prior into a new light and makes rewatching old episodes and movies more fun), but in-universe, as nonsensical as it can be sometimes, it's all meant to be one big history.