View Single Post
Old August 14 2013, 07:24 PM   #293
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

I have re-read this thread a total of three times now, trying to get my full thoughts to coalesce into something that will resemble coherency. My inability to do so is either a compliment to Robert Comsol and company's thoroughness, or an insult to my mental faculties.

I wanted to briefly discuss methodology. My first question relates to TMoSt and how you are using it. Your OP states some facts gleaned from there, and I take it you have reviewed the text presented therein somewhat thoroughly. Is it your intent to use this as your barometer for your overall project? If so, do you factor the Jefferies cross section of the Enterprise into the equation - and if so, how? Further, I'm curious what specifically prompted you to pick the 1080' feet figure instead of the more generally accepted 947'?

Second, I admire that you are taking everything we've seen on the show and trying to adhere as closely to that as possible, using visual evidence of corridors to try to place rooms. I certainly do not disagree with this effort. However, I want to ensure that the correct amount of salt is applied in this venture. That is, we know fairly conclusively that the curved corridor was a conceit to make the ship seem bigger than it was. We also know that it was considered advantageous since it corresponded with the curve of the saucer. However, I am not certain how much forethought placed in their staging of scenes, nor how much forethought was placed in the assignment of door numbers.

That said, mine any diamonds from the rough that you can - just remember that if something doesn't work out, it is not unreasonable to chalk something up to a production inconsistency.

I've mostly assumed that you are doing this without thinking too much of anything introduced from TNG or other series as far as the way technology works - in one post, I believe you (quite correctly) pointed out that the TOS tech could be quite different than anything in a previous era or later era. I wholly agree with this. I'm curious, though, how much thought you have given to trying to reconcile this with the previous or later series? Decks with inconsistent heights, for example, might be considered controversial by 24th century standards.

Using the yellow circular hatch as a way to allow curved corridors makes sense. I feel that your second revisions of the engineering hull are closer to what I expected from this methodology - curved corridors, yes, but not overabundantly so. I think they key here is balancing out onscreen interpretation with what would actually make sense, which I think you are doing so far. The one thing I might suggest we consider more is how would the ship actually be laid out? Do designers place the turbolifts and corridors first, or the rooms, and put the corridors in between? I think there's a happy medium to be found.

When it comes time to take the project back up, I think it would be logical to take all the WIPs so far and compare them, and perhaps derive a horizontal cross section from them. I'm concerned that you might get so stuck on trying to make the sets fit the available area that we might find they don't stack properly.

I wanted to touch briefly on the topic of the warp drive as well. Somehow, the Enterprise combines matter and antimatter, along with dilithium crystals, to make power. And the engine pods somehow warp space and move the ship. From TOS, we do know this. But what we don't know is exactly how it works. We have the "matter/antimatter integrator" in the floor of engineering in season two onward, which was maybe there all along, albeit another room. We have the energizer structures there all along. We have the dilithium room in "The Alternative Factor" which I'll get to in a minute. And we have the cathedral. Oh, and lest we not forget the crawlway Scotty used, in "That Which Survives" I think. That's pretty much all TOS tells us.

It's my assertion that it was initially thought that the "antimatter pods" were the warp nacelles, and were self-contained, aircraft-style engines. I think this changed as the series went on, and a more hands-on approach was needed. Plot seemed to necessitate the addition of the integrator, which presumable, does just that - uses dilithium to "integrate" matter and antimatter, resulting in power. Somehow, this probably goes through the cathedral and ends up in the engines. The energizers presumably steal power from the main reactor to power everything else.

I have yet to see a truly satisfactory answer for the "re-amplification" room in "The Alternative Factor." I had always assumed the Enterprise usually carried many backup crystals (lacking in "WNMHGB" and "Mudd's Women," to be sure) which had to be "rested" (but not recrystalized per TVH) through some arcane process.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to following this thread when you pick the job back up after your hiatus.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote