View Single Post
Old August 14 2013, 02:07 AM   #129
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (ebook) review thread

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post

Err, Indians are Asian. They also constitute something like 1/6 of the human race, so I'm sure there's a fair amount of diversity in their facial features.

I always forget that India is part of Asia. I guess I should has specified East Asian.
And where please tell do you think it was?

I assume you were taught basic geography when at school.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian:

Asian may also refer to:
In the Americas, Europe, Australia and New Zealand the term usually refers to people from East Asia or Southeast Asia.
In the United Kingdom and some other Commonwealth countries, the term refers more frequently to those from South Asia.
It's a simple mistake, one that many, many Americans make all the time, one that reflects the current way that the term "Asian" is understood in the states. When people talk about "Asian" stereotypes, as racist as they are, they are much more likely to refer to people from China, Japan, Korea and perhaps Thailand, Vietnam and other parts of Southeast Asia.

They're usually not referring to people from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey (east of Istanbul), Israel, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the U.A.E. or Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, Turkmenistan or Kazakhstan, all of which are considered to be part of the Asian continent.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote