View Single Post
Old August 13 2013, 08:20 PM   #93
Christopher
Writer

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

davejames wrote: View Post
I share your distaste for these crossover shows, but I wouldn't let the clips shown here dissuade you from at least checking out Breaking Bad. It's an excellent show with memorable characters and the kind of original premise you don't find much on TV. And it's one of the few shows that follows through on the consequences of every action the characters take, which is exciting to watch.
I caught the last minute or so of an episode once, and it involved something really gruesome involving a person who had half his head blown away, quite graphically. I really, profoundly wish I had never seen that, and you're not going to convince me to watch more of a show when the only part I have seen is one I desperately want to unsee.

And the title just refers to when someone "breaks bad" and starts becoming a criminal.
But Wikipedia quotes the creator as saying it means "to raise hell" -- although, since it's a gerund phrase, I assume he meant "raising hell." Either way, though, I don't understand the grammar of the phrase. I don't see how you can put those two words together in those forms to produce either meaning.

I just have the hardest time getting my mind around slang phrases that use adjectives as the objects of verbs. I don't understand how that's supposed to work. I've never gotten used to "my bad" -- your bad what?! And don't get me started on Syfy's slogan "Imagine Greater."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote