View Single Post
Old August 13 2013, 12:25 AM   #707
Ghostface1701
Commander

Re: Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

I can look if you give me the exact time code.
It's most noticable at 18:23, on the yellow uniforms in this shot:
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Ask and you shall receive! HD screencap of said shot from Blu-ray as requested.

Click the link for full size...

http://www.anony.ws/i/2013/08/12/VOMCo.png
Ok, here are my 2 cents, for what it's worth. After watching it in motion on the Blu-ray, I do see exactly what you're talking about, but I'm not sure they are compression artifacts. They don't look like defined blocks of data with straight edges but rather random blobs of color -- in this case red and green which are the two colors that mix to make yellow. I think this might be natural colored film grain that has been slightly over-boosted during the color correction phase resulting in what we might refer to now as chrominance noise in the video signal. Notice how you don't see this effect near the tops of their uniforms but more toward their midsection, where the light begins to fall off?

It's also possible that this particular piece of film just developed that way during processing. The way photographic film works is each microscopic light-sensitive silver halide crystal in each of the three primary color layers of the film emulsion, were exposed to light to either a greater or lesser extent... and during development, through a chemical reaction with certain color couplers in the emulsion, a tiny little colored dye cloud is left behind (like a stain) where each silver salt crystal was washed away during the fixing step. It is these tiny cyan (red), magenta (green) or yellow (blue) dye clouds (what we see as grain) that combine in aggregate, sometimes in bigger clusters, to make up the colored image.

Anyway, hope that helps. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Thanks for explaining it, Max. A voice in the back of my mind was saying it didn't look like compression artifacts, but I couldn't explain what I was seeing any other way. I'm glad I wasn't going crazy

And thanks for the screenshot LOKAI of CHERON!
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote