View Single Post
Old August 12 2013, 01:55 PM   #16
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: ST 3: ST's equivalent of Skyfall..?

I thoroughly enjoyed STID, more so than ST09, which was very good but had too many plot holes. STID was much tighter and I saw it as a successful homage to TWOK rather than the rip-off that others saw. I hated to see Pike die but it made sense for Kirk to have his father figure get murdered for Jim to grow into his role as captain. I loved the scene on the ship with Kirk, Spock, and Uhura when she accuses Spock of being unfeeling and the Vulcan tells her that he is quite the opposite. The humor was appropriate and very successful, something that was rarely done well in TNG's films. Flipping around the roles in the ship-saving scene worked great especially with the lines that were fated to be spoken by someone involved. It all worked for me.

As for the next film, I agree with those who are a bit tired of the formula that includes monster ships, bad guys who want to destroy Earth, and mass destrruction of major cities with no mention of or concern for the people in the crumbling skyscrapers. The best stories have always been the "damned if you do/damned if you don't" stories in which our heroes have to resolve a very difficult moral dillema. I'm no writer so I'll leave it at that.