View Single Post
Old August 12 2013, 01:45 AM   #21
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Re: Nu!Trek and Romulan War

Timo wrote: View Post
I think the language contained in the logs would be enough. Not everyone in Starfleet's linguistics division is as ignorant of Romulan as Uhura's predecessor.
But what possible reason would the first Nero encounter give to anybody for thinking that the language they hear is Romulan? According to the "three dialects" scene, the language Nero would have spoken would have been Vulcan! (Unless, of course, he spoke English to his Starfleet captive, or used a superior future translator that would leave Robau hearing English but unable to deduce the originating language.) There's no good reason why Starfleet would think that Vulcan-looking (if bald and tattooed) people speaking Vulcan would be Romulans, not unless something like "Balance of Terror" subsequently happened.

And obviously something did, because our heroes in 2258 know a thing or two about Romulans, none of which they could have learned from the stories of late Robau's surviving crew. But with some other incident revealing that Romulans are renegade Vulcans, everybody would naturally realize that the renegade Vulcans who destroyed the Kelvin were most probably Romulans.

Timo Saloniemi
T'Girl wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I'm sure the audio/visual/whatever records from the Kelvin would be enough.

I think the language contained in the logs would be enough.
That's making the fairly large assumption that such logs exist. More likely all Starfleet would have had is the debriefing of the bridge personnel who witnessed the exchange between Robau and Ayel.

And while the bridge crew were monitoring Robau's life signs, there was no indication that they were listening in to anything that was said while he was aboard the enemy ship.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The shuttles must have contained copies ...
Not necessarily.

Again, Kirk knows the ship that attacked the Kelvin was Romulan. Something must have happened to give Kirk that knowledge. More than likely it was the logs from the Kelvin or from histories written by people who examined those records. (Perhaps Pike's dissertation) Also, the Romulan language has been known since before the UFP was formed. T'Pol knew the language in the 22nd Century and Hoshi Sato heard it then. The war that followed would also give humans and their allies a great deal of experience with the language. I assume the UT would record the original language as well as give a translation.