View Single Post
Old August 11 2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Early TOS novels

Jsplinis wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
It was KRAD who assigned the titles for the miniseries.
That's interesting, it never occurred to me that anyone would name a story except its author. How often has that happened to you. Does it bother you when it happens or do you just see it as part of the job?
Oh, titles change all the time . . . and lots of people are involved in the discussion: the author, the editor, the sales department, the licensor, etc. As an editor, I'm perfectly comfortable telling an author "Marketing hates your title. We need to come up with something better."

In my own case:

THE BLACK SHORE was originally titled PARADISE. (We changed it to avoid confusion with another VOYAGER novel, THE GARDEN, which was coming out around the same time.)

THE EUGENICS WARS was originally ASSIGNMENT: ARMAGEDDON and was briefly just KHAN: THE NOVEL . . . .

TO REIGN IN HELL was originally THE EUGENICS WARS: VOLUME THREE.

THE WEIGHT OF WORLDS was originally THE TWILIGHT REALM.

And, I just remembered, my editor invented all the titles for THE Q CONTINUUM books. In fact, that whole project began because John Ordover thought that THE Q CONTINUUM would be a great title for a trilogy--and asked me to come up with a plot to fit the title!

No title is set in stone until the catalog comes out, and working titles are usually just that . . .

(I took part in a fun panel on this topic at Norwescon a few years ago and, yeah, every author and/or editor on the panel had plenty of good stories to tell about titles that went through strange transformations.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 11 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote