View Single Post
Old August 11 2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: Oberth Class the missing link between Enterprise and Reliant

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
If we consider the study model excelsior (with nacelles that were used in TNG), then no, it looks like a new (or different) line of ships with a different design from both TOS E and TMP E.
I feel the nacelle caps are the only design element suggesting "new" while everything else is vastly different.

I'm firmly entrenched in the original intention being a sensor pod of some sort. Take it as a scout or a science vessel, a big ass sensor platform dedicated to performing long range or dedicated complicated scanning makes a lot of sense.
I have no doubt that this is a function the pod eventually acquired but I'm firmly "entrenched" that in terms of volume requirements warp drive technology and/or antimatter containment will use up considerably more space than sensor equipment.

I've always liked the MARC being in the nacelles, but TMP and post trek clearly made choices to throw them in the secondary hulls of ships.
Then I hope there's at least one discovery in my treatise / proposal you like.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote