View Single Post
Old August 10 2013, 07:45 PM   #35
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Dune - The Book and the 1984 film *spoilers for both*

DalekJim wrote: View Post
Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
They had pretty much admitted they had no idea what Herbert had planned. The two thinking machines as the final villains was the best those hacks could do.
I am convinced Frank Herbert intended the thinking machines to be the final villains. The finale Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson gave to the series was sloppy, mediocre, and largely forgettable, but it's nowhere near as bad as a lot of the stuff they've done since.

The series is being milked to death. Though to be fair, it was like that when Frank was doing the books. The first, second, and third books all have endings intended to never be continued. He kept returning to his best money maker.
While they weren't as good as the first 3 books, I like all of the main Dune series, including the books by his son. Also, the House atreides/Harkonnen/Corino books were great, and Paul of Dune/Winds of Dune were decent (although for some reason I don't remember Winds of Dune very well). That said, I couldn't get through even 100 pages of The Butlerian Jihad books and I won't read Sisterhood of Dune. I've been thinking of rereading the Dune series (in chronological order of the stories, not counting short stories, The Butlerian Jihad or sisterhood of Dune books). When I first read them, I read the first 4 books then eventually the others (although I accidentally skipped Chapterhouse Dune, which made it weird reading the latter books ). The series is really good, its one of my favorites.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote