View Single Post
Old August 10 2013, 08:01 AM   #69
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: "The Trouble With Tribbles" is the most overrated episode of TOS..

mb22 wrote: View Post
If any character should have been cast differently, though, it should have been Freeman - Paul Baxley was Shatner's stand-in, and it shows in his flat performance and line delivery.
David Gerrold states that he wrote the role for himself, but was turned as being to skinny so Baxley was given the (unnecessary to the plot) role
That's sort of what I was alluding to. I think, too, that there might have been some union rules preventing David from being cast - though I admit that I don't know what the rules were in 1967.

If memory serves, he's also used the Freeman character (or at least the name) in a few of his novels. I can only assume that he's using the character as a proxy for himself, to express his own commentary on the events of the plot (especially since his real surname is Friedman - I don't think that's a coincidence). I've never actually asked him about that, though. I probably should.

And David is still pretty skinny. I can only hope I'm in that kind of shape when I'm in my late 60s. (Not likely - I'm not in that kind of shape now, in my mid 40s.)

Myko wrote: View Post
Stunt double actually, not stand-in. Eddie Paskey was Shatner's stand-in. Baxley was probably cast because of the upcoming fight scene.
I stand corrected - thanks.

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I think Baxley stands out in the episode because he's behaving exactly like a real person, which is to say flat and uninteresting, while the industry-standard acting style of the period was to put on more of a deliberate personality. Professional actors in 1967 played it a little bigger, while Baxley might have fit right in doing an episode of re-imagined BATTLESTAR GALACTICA circa 2005, with it's understated naturalism.

I'm phrasing it badly, but I think I'm onto something.
You may well be right - but I don't think it's just a 1967 thing, I think it's a Star Trek thing. There's a definite "Star Trek" acting style, a little more theatrical than most other television.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote