View Single Post
Old August 9 2013, 11:54 AM   #39
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: Are Federation politicians immune to sex scandals?

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
You can't even walk down a public street today without being monitored by any number of cameras. Even more so when everyone has a built in camera in their phone they can fit in their pocket. If you go out in public at all, I'd have to say what you look like is public domain.
Pretty fracking much, and the law agrees, too.
I don't think people are allowed to profit from someone else's image.

So people can be filmed by security cameras in public, and should have no expectation of privacy in that sense, it's quite another thing to license and sell someone's image for money.

Whether it works that way in the future Federation I don't think has been established. Holodecks on the Enterprise don't make a profit (unless people sell programs to Starfleet, but then you get into the whole "no money in the future" thing again).

As for Quark's, well...he would probably either find some loophole or change the image just enough to squeak by.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote