View Single Post
Old August 9 2013, 05:26 AM   #91
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: So many Mirandas/So few Constitution-refits?

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
I'm not "just now" saying it. I said it two posts ago in response to you.
No, this came after what I originally said. You accused me of ignoring something you hadn't said yet.
You have me confused with cooleddie; I DO NOT possess a time machine.
You could have fooled me.

For all intents and purposes, the Constellation was a either a ship from an earlier design that was later upgraded to Constitution-class specifications or was simply a vessel that was assigned a lower hull registry than the Constitution if hull registries aren't always consecutive.
Except we don't canonically know the registry of USS Constitution; for all we know they gave it "NCC-911" and concurrent with a dozen other starship classes who shared the 900 and 1000 series for the next twenty five years.
I once speculated that NCC-1700 was not necessarily the hull registry for the Constitution, but the basic diagram of a Constitution-class ship with that registry popped up onscreen more than once in Trek (first on a monitor screen Scotty was looking at in "Space Seed," but more clearly for us to look at in Star Trek III and TNG's "Datalore").
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...C_Datalore.jpg

It's not unreasonable that repeatedly-shown diagram is a base schematic of a Constitution-class ship featuring the first vessel of the design.