View Single Post
Old August 9 2013, 05:05 AM   #273
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Shurik wrote: View Post
Kaiju were susceptible to being frozen, burnt, cut and blasted with plasma cannon.
Not sure about the frozen part but I don't remember Kaiju being susceptible to being burned. The Plasma cannon appear to punch holes in Kaiju rather than burn them. Cutting still uses kinetic energy.

I'm sure rockets would do just fine (and that's how the first kaiju were probably defeated, before the robots)
Rockets would do fine since that's the primary weapon of Stryker Eureka but I would argue that they don't have explosive warheads. Axehead was killed by a nuclear device.

As to bunker busters - drop 100 of those at the same time at the general area where kaiju is expected to move and statistically you would hit it.
But that was one of the problems, the collateral damage plus the spread of Kaiju remains. Jaegers could deliver the same amount of destructive force and not endanger an entire city

Also, the world that had invented and built giant robots with mind-melding pilots in 14 months, could invent bunker busters with homing mechanism that could hit a moving target. This is again the part where applying logic and common sense to the idea behind the movie is pointless.
I was thinking about the same thing. Instead of a bunker buster a more effective weapon would be a "Rod from God"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

That being said Jaegers are more adaptable and won't splatter the Kaiju all over the place.