View Single Post
Old August 8 2013, 06:20 PM   #210
Christopher
Writer

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

This one was okay, but not particularly good. The "Jack and the Beanstalk" stuff was overdone. And Mom's portrayal was rather strange here. For one thing, why would someone who's always specialized in robotics suddenly be into genetic engineering? And for another thing, why would someone who's always been evil and greedy suddenly be so eager to help feed the starving masses? I guess the writers expected the viewers to be on Leela's side and buy into the kneejerk Luddite assumption that GMOs are evil, but the episode pretty much disproved that at the end. Which is a stance I agree with wholeheartedly, but it came at the cost of portraying Mom completely out of character, no longer villainously greedy but just reckless in pursuit of benevolent goals. It didn't make sense. I could've bought a different character in the role, but it seemed the only reason they put Mom in this story was so they could use the "Momsanto" pun.

I did like the way they carried forward the thread that Fry loves Leela no matter what she looks like. That's a nice bit of character continuity with past episodes where that theme came up, and it's very sweet as well.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote