View Single Post
Old August 8 2013, 04:06 PM   #8
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: Elysium - grade/review and spoilers - also controversy

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Why is it so hard to believe he didn't have an agenda? Just because a bunch of college professors and other professions, desperate to rationalize their education, see all that crap in other people's work, that doesn't mean the creators of those works schemed to advance some hidden agenda as part of a massive world-wide conspiracy.

Just like Shakespeare didn't set out to say even a minute fraction of the shit he supposedly said in his works.

"Ooh, someone's telling a story! It can't just be a story, though! There has to be an agenda because I seeeeeeeeee one! Burn him! Burn him!!!"

This.

I argued with my English teachers all the time, they wouldn't go "What do you think it means?", they would go "This is what you means! Everyone else is wrong!", like they knew the author or something. Fucking useless.

And the truth is sometime in the future I can see rich living on the Moon and everyone else living on an overcrowded planet. That isn't a political view, just a very real possibility. Why can't that be part of a story? Every story ever written has some kind of point that someone could find as political.
It's called allegory. Something that science fiction has always been fond of.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote