View Single Post
Old August 8 2013, 03:39 PM   #225
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Re: So I'm Watching "Chains of Command"

sariel2005 wrote: View Post
It wouldn't surprise me, though, if Riker's turning down a commission at least three times (and possibly a fourth time following "TBOBW" before he agreed to a reduction in rank to continue being Picard's beotch) that Starfleet would be reluctant to ever again offer him command of anything.
Something thats seems to bite him in the ass here. It seems that Riker at some point decided that he wants command of the Enterprise, nothing else ( notice that in " Future Imperfect" he sees himself as captain of the Enterprise ). As such he clearly believes if Picard is not captain it should be him, notice that he tells Necheyev he doesn't see why Jellico should assume command to conduct negotiations and his reaction to her dimissing him ( in fairness she was pretty nasty about it).

Actually I can see Necheyev telling Jellico about that little exchange, which might explain why, although initially congenial, Jellico seems to dismiss Riker as a bad officer so quickly.
Yeah, Necheyev was so undiplomatic when dismissing Picard and Riker. I get it, she's a commanding admiral but could have handled both those instances a lot better.

As I recall, in the early drafts of First Conatct Riker had become captain of the Enterprise-B and Picard was a commodore/admiral.

In the alternate All Good Things future, Riker has taken the Enterprise-D as his flagship and he tells Picard at the end of Enterprise-D he always thought he'd have a chance at that chair. Picard finally outlasted him in keeping the Enterprise.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote