View Single Post
Old August 7 2013, 09:32 PM   #14
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: Something To Work Towards

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Recently I've heard several news stories of millennials (I hate categorizing people) living with their parents because they don't see a clear way to self-sufficiency. The situation these people find themselves in isn't that far removed from their parents' and grandparents' situations when they first ventured out on their own.
Is it that they don't see a clear way to self-sufficiency, or is it that they see video games, internet, TV, HBO, cigarettes and beer as being part of basic living expenses?

I pretty much agree with your post. There are so many young people with bachelors degrees begging for money on the street because they say "I have a BA, I shouldn't have to work at Starbucks."

My bachelors degree was in psychology. For a year and a half I applied exclusively to research assistant jobs and mooched off my parents because I felt exactly that way, that I was owed the career I wanted.

Then I got a part time job counting inventory and started a masters program in IT. I worked hard at that job and worked hard at school, got my IT degree, and now I'm a software engineer.

In the 1990s we kind of decided that education was all about exploring the child's self esteem, so they all got the strange idea that the world revolved around their feelings.

You can have the career you want. You just need to work way harder than you think you do and take jobs you don't want in the mean time. Five years working hard at a menial part time job makes a much better resume than five years of living at home.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote