View Single Post
Old August 7 2013, 02:34 AM   #10
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: Something To Work Towards

Recently I've heard several news stories of millennials (I hate categorizing people) living with their parents because they don't see a clear way to self-sufficiency. The situation these people find themselves in isn't that far removed from their parents' and grandparents' situations when they first ventured out on their own.

Life is hard. If anyone has told you otherwise, they were wrong. That's not necessarily a bad thing. We (supposedly) learn from hardship and it makes us get creative. It is amazing what a person can accomplish when he knows there is no safety net. Nietzsche's line is often quoted, and it's true. If you don't give in and realize that tomorrow is a new day to try again, you will be stronger for it. Don't repeat yesterday's failure. Try something different.

I hear a lot of young people say that they can't be successful because they can't get the job they want. That may be so, but it's not the end of the world. You can be successful in anything you do, as long as you do it with enthusiasm and have a never say die attitude. You might not ever be rich, and you might have to struggle all your life. But guess what? Money doesn't buy you happiness. You can be happy with whatever cards life deals you. It's all about your attitude.

A lot of people have become wealthy from an idea. Everyone has ideas, all the time. What can you do that no one else does? Nothing? Well, what can you do better than someone else? Take that idea and run with it. It doesn't have to be a huge monetary investment. It just has to be unique, and each and every one of us has those unique ideas.

My daughter-in-law started a clothing company based on an idea. She's in her 3rd year now and has several local distributors plus sales from her website. I started a business about a year and a half ago based on an idea and am now shipping my stuff all over the world. Neither of us had any capital or investors, just an idea and a little disposable income.

If you are waiting for a government to give you a comfortable life, you'll have a long, long wait. No government has ever done that. Success in life is up to you, and it's up to do your best.

There will always be people who can't make it on their own. We owe it to them to help them achieve their potential, and to be there for them when they fall. "The poor will always be with you."

When we see a poor or homeless person on the street, some of us say "We must create taxpayer-funded programs to help that person." Others of us say "We need to help that person help himself." It's our individual responsibility to prop them up and encourage them to find their strengths, and take care of them if they just can't do it.

No government has ever, and will never, take the place of this individual responsibility.

Don't be discouraged by your economic situation. You have talents you haven't even dreamed of yet, and you will be successful if you keep a clear head and work hard.

(This will be an unpopular post, but that's ok. I'm used to being unpopular.)
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote