View Single Post
Old August 6 2013, 10:29 PM   #29
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: How do you feel about Torchwood Miracle Day

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The first 2 series were just Angel/Buffy but with John Barrowman. A key problem being that Boreanaz and Gellar could act.
IMO, Gellar can't act her way out of a paper bag, sorry. She's the single reason why I've never been able to get into Buffy, and believe me, I've tried. Love Boreanaz, though, and most of the rest of the cast.

As for Torchwood, RTD really didn't know what he wanted to do with the show other than to play with ideas of sexuality. The first series doesn't know if it wants to be The X-Files or Queer as Folk. The second series got much better. Nothing too daring as far as plots or storylines, but things that were at least consistent and fun. "From Out of the Rain," "Dead Man Walking," "Adrift" and "To the Last Man" are all worthy episodes. They would have been only decent filler stories in Doctor Who, but compared to rest of the dross of early Torchwood, they were the cream of the crop.

Children of Men, though, was absolutely revolutionary. It is perhaps the best example of modern science fiction I've ever seen on television. The fact that it was apparently a fluke that RTD and the others didn't actually understand is extremely disheartening. If they did understand it, it could have marked a new era for televised sci-fi.