View Single Post
Old August 6 2013, 12:17 PM   #186
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: So I'm Watching "Chains of Command"

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
You all continue to ignore the fact that Jellico had everyone walking on eggshells around him. Creating an atmosphere of confusion and fear, while you keep the people you work with in the dark is not being an effective leader.

And it cost Captain Bossypants an effective asset in Riker. It also removed half the purpose of an XO is promoting an emotionless android to the position of First Officer. Data would be awesome in 'Making it So'. He would be nigh useless in 'feeling out the crew'....Hell he still had problems with GD metaphors at that point.*

*I'm not saying Data would be a useless XO, but it would definitely require some kind of restructuring of what Riker brought to the table.
Contrary to popular belief, an executive officer is not supposed to be this second conscience for the commanding officer. He is supposed to "exectute" the commander's intent. That's it. An XO is essentially a staff manager. Data would have been, and actually performed superbly as a first officer. We saw him actually side with Jellico on occasion saying his orders were possible when the crew was waffling.

As for Jellico having the whole crew on edge. That is ridiculous considering what most of them had been through the first four seasons. If Starfleet Academy is as rigorous as they make it sound, then they shouldn't act like such delicate little flowers when they get a no nonsense CO. I bet the crew of the USS Cairo would have laughed at the Federation flagship's crew.