View Single Post
Old August 5 2013, 08:57 PM   #831
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: Starship Size Argument™ thread

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Not at all. Part of Star Trek "philosophy" was extremely advanced invisible ubiquitous technology (an idea that companies like Apple pursue as well). Everythings clean and hidden, even in engineering. In TOS mostly because of budget, but ever since TMP because of purpose.
But doesn't that work against easy access for maintenance and replacing parts? And even accepting that Starfleet-Prime liked to keep the inner workings of their starships hidden, isn't it possible that in the AU they went "Fuck it" and decided on a giant open-plan engineering section?
It's the difference between a 1950s car engine and a modern car engine (or even an electric engine). Between a computer workstation from the 70s and an iPhone. Or between an ISS module and a MIR module. Or between the cable spaghetti of an old desktop computer and the cable less bluetooth systems of today. Heck, the difference between a 100 year old brewery and a modern brewery.

All that visible piping and plating and circuiting goes against that idea.
But it's all visible in the original! Yes the new version is more densely cluttered, but I maintain that what's in the TOS and STXI engine rooms is the same. I'd even go so far as to suggest that TOS episodes like "Court Martial" and "The Enemy Within" implied an engineering section far larger and more maze-like than they were able to depict.
It's not about size, it's about technique!

We've seen so many times in Trek, even in TOS, when they need to access something, they take off a plate that hides all the stuff. If there's nothing to repair, everything is clean and tidy, automated, etc... I also wonder why the nuTransporter Room is clean and tidied up when underneath your atoms and molecules are scrambled, buffered and sent thousands of kilometers through space. That's a giant machine that needs particle acceleration, magnetic fields, cooling, and exotic technobabble. Why can that be hidden cleanly, but engineering is such a mess?

nuTrek looks dated (and will even more in the future), and inconsistent. They have manual valves everywhere, but when Scotty gets trapped inside the pipes, Kirk uses a touch screen to release him. Another moment that made me shake my head was when they enter that remote Delta Vega outpost and there's flickering neon tubes and TFT displays. Those will look as dated as the CRT displays in 2001 or Alien in ten years, when affordable OLEDs hit us.

Last edited by JarodRussell; August 5 2013 at 09:08 PM.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote