View Single Post
Old August 5 2013, 07:46 PM   #55
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Re: The Library of Star Treks That Never Were - Book cover designs

Ptrope wrote: View Post
Actually, if you're using Firefox, you can right-click the image and select "View image," and it will open in a new tab sized to fit the window . Sadly, IE doesn't appear to have this capability.
Well you learn something new everydayl.

Ptrope wrote: View Post
I like that ship, Lensman - its design is ... compelling .
Thanks! Right now I'm in the "exploring the solar system" phase of these covers, and I'm looking at having to do 3D work in order to make up for the lack of official images for me to 'Shop. Plus, I keep remembering little tidbits of history that would work as stories.

Prolly time to break out that chronology

Forbin wrote: View Post
Where does one get the "old and worn cover look" filter?
There are filters, but I have been zero impressed with them.
I've used two methods....the method I'm currently using is Ptrope's method. I'm using actual scanned books with everything but the wear blacked out (sometimes I have to do some 'shopping on the cover to achieve that)

Then (if you're using Photoshop) in "Layer>Layer Style>blending options" I play with different settings until I get the seamless melding (usually "Lighten" works best)

In fact today I'm going to scan some old book covers that have black backs with wear, so it'll be easy to rubber stamp the text out.

In my opinion, this method is the best by far. It allows for far more subtlety in the aging, and frankly, it's the easiest once you have a little library of covers to work from as you can just flip and rotate or just use sections to get a little variety.

Method 2 is the method I discovered on my own years ago and have refined over time. It's actually fairly simple:

Set your background color to an off yellow (of just sample the color from an actual old book)

Cut your main image out, then repaste back in. Select the lasso tool and then just try to make irregular areas and cut them out. It works best with smaller wear as larger areas will just have a big piece of off yellow showing.

Here's an example.

The thing is that the edges tend to be fairly sharp, so you may want to blur them (I usually blur once or twice when I'm done). This is a little more time consuming, so make sure you save often.

As with anything, it takes a little practice to get just right.

Most of the filters I've seen pretty much look like this method. But it's possible my experience and know how with them is limited.