View Single Post
Old August 5 2013, 04:52 PM   #218
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I explained why Trip doesn't feel he can face his family and friends anymore. Whether that will last remains to be seen, but he does have a reason for avoiding them.

Basically, the previous books kept Trip from "coming back to life" through a series of hard-luck plot twists and misadventures that kept him from returning to his old life as he wanted. I figured that couldn't keep happening forever, so I needed to find an internal reason why he would've chosen not to go back. Given that, by this point, he'd been "dead" for seven years and gone through many traumatic, life-changing experiences, I could believe that he just felt he was no longer the man he'd been and that it was kinder to his loved ones to let them have closure and move on with their lives.
Personally, I couldn't see things that way, and that's why I struggle to see things from his point of view. However, I'm not him...

I can't see the same logic applying to The Enterprise crew though. There could be some mileage in that - we'll just have to wait and see how that pans out.