View Single Post
Old August 4 2013, 08:16 PM   #48
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: When did the perception of Insurrection change?

I liked the stuff with crazy Data at the beginning of the movie. Then it was all downhill from there.

Ultimately, the movie just didn't grip me at all. I didn't care about any of the characters, neither the Baku nor the Son'a nor even the Enterprise crew. The crew had no personal stake in the story at all until near the end. They could have warped away at any time. All through the film, as I sat in theater, I kept thinking, "when am I supposed to care about what's going on?" The whole film just had an "alien-of-the-week" TV episode feel to it.

It's not that I wanted another "First Contact." In fact, that's precisely what I didn't. I wanted no time travel, less mindless action, and something a little more true to the spirit of the TV series. I wanted what Michael Piller had always excelled at in television -- a strong character story. We didn't get that. I think Piller tried his best, but he failed spectacularly. Ironically, I think Roddenberry would have loved it; it might even have been his favorite Trek film, because it presents our faultless heroes as right and everyone else as wrong.