View Single Post
Old August 4 2013, 05:16 PM   #50
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Federation Versus The Romulan Empire

kgartm1185 wrote: View Post
I don't care if it is canon or not, it just gives an idea of the strength of most Star Trek ships.
It's precisely because that site isn't cannon that it does not give an idea of each ship's strengths. And it does matter if material is cannon or not because everyone must be allowed to have the same reference point from which to evaluate the events in question. People are free to draw their own conclusions, of course, but everyone has to have the same starting point.

BillJ wrote: View Post
No it gives what someone who has no association with the various Trek productions thinks.

Sorry. The reason that being on screen is important is that it gives everyone the same standard for reference.
Exactly. Otherwise, anyone could argue that their fan fiction is just as valid as anything that happens on screen. I've certainly read fan fiction that I think is superior to some of the material that was ultimately aired, but that doesn't mean the material is cannon. Only television and film are considered cannon as far as the Star Trek universe is concerned. Unless someone (Rick Berman, for example) says otherwise, that's not likely to change.

kgartm1185 wrote: View Post
I just don't know what's considered canon in Star Trek besides what happens in the TV shows and movies. I've always just assumed that the Federation was the strongest, then the Klingons, and lastly the Romulans.
Except that there's nothing that actually proves this. The Federation would seem to be the strongest of the three, but we never see them engaged in a prolonged conflict with either the Klingons or the Romulans. Therefore, there's no way to know for sure which power is the strongest.

--Sran