View Single Post
Old August 3 2013, 07:23 PM   #187
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: The Single Worst Line of Dialogue in the entire Star Trek Franchis

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I always wondered about Carol's culpability in the protomatter thing....She was the head of the project, how could she not know what was in the special sauce?
Nothing's explicitly stated, but I always thought that Carol's involvement was more administrative than scientific. As the more established scientist, her involvement gave the project name recognition and credibility that it wouldn't have with David running the show. The younger Dr. Marcus, by contrast, was much more involved with the day-to-day running of the project: when the proto-matter was added to the Genesis matrix, it would have happened under his watch rather than his mother's.

That's not to say Carol doesn't bear some of the responsibility. But it's suggested that David added the proto-matter without consulting his mother (and possibly the rest of the team). As I said before, I don't think David anticipated the problems that eventually popped up, but his insistence on finishing the project on schedule set in motion a chain of events that lead to several deaths and an embarrassing political situation for the UFP.

--Sran