View Single Post
Old August 2 2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Captain Atkin
Commander

Re: Question About "Of Gods and Men" Soundtrack...

Admiral Archer wrote: View Post
I suppose I should explain my stance. I am fine with licensed Star Trek music being used for NON PROFIT. I have observed many fans using songs directly taken from existing film soundtracks (such as Star Trek: Valkyrie intro on youtube using the end credits music from "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Star Trek: Nemesis") and I actually don't care that the music is from a copyrighted source, because it is non profit. Also, I have no problem with such videos so long as they take time to credit the original artist (again, Star Trek: Valkyrie comes to mind, due to the fact that they at least credit Jerry Goldsmith, who did the themes used in the video). What disturbs me about this artist is that A) he is claiming HE wrote the music, without giving credit to the original artist, and B) he is making a profit off of it.
I just listened to the track. It has a few notes that are similar to the TMP track, but it is not 'note-for-note'. There are very obvious differences between the two. I think it is safe to say that it was done as a homage to the original series. It is meant to invoke the feel of the original series, without using the original music.

Nevertheless, the artist DID credit Jerry Goldsmith on his website:

Note: It has come to my attention that I did not properly credit Jerry Goldsmith for his work in the themes and for this I truly apologize. When the album was first released I made sure let everyone know the track with his work was always free and credit was due. Over the years, the page has shifted somewhat.

Thank you Jerry Goldsmith for your wonderful music.

*Contains music by Jerry Goldsmith
**This is a free track and always has been.

For mroe information on the film, please visit:
http://www.justindurban.com/star-tre...-and-men-2008/
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote