Star Trek III: The Search for Spock wrote:
SAAVIK: How many have paid the price for your impatience? How many have died? How much damage have you done? ...And what is yet to come?
Ok, who are you and what have you done with the real Saavik? Because if you were Saavik, you would know that logically, David using Protomatter would have nothing to do with the deaths of those who have died since Genesis was introduced to Star Trek.
- Khan murdered the crew of the Regula 1 Station when they refused to reveal the details of the Genesis Device, not because David used Protomatter.
- Khan detonated the Genesis Device because it was his only remaining chance to kill Kirk out of revenge, not because David used Protomatter.
- The Klingons wanted the Genesis device even if it didn't work, not because David used Protomatter.
- The USS Grissom was destroyed because some Klingon gunner miscalculated his aim, not because David used Protomatter.
And this is probably the biggest piece against Saavik's "guilt inducing" speech,
- Spock, who was killed in the last movie, IS NOW ALIVE THANKS TO DAVID USING PROTOMATTER!
So logically, not only has David not done anything wrong by using Protomatter, he helped ensure that Spock would come back and everyone else would eventually save Earth in the next movie. So the correct answer to your question Saavik?
-1 people have died because of David.