Thread: The Ashes 2013
View Single Post
Old August 2 2013, 08:41 AM   #76
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: The Ashes 2013

I don't want to harp on about the DRS lest it come across as sour grapes or something, but good grief - that was as poor a decision as I've seen, perhaps ever but certainly in recent times. I was always under the impression that one had to actually hit the ball to be given out caught, but perhaps there's been a rule change of late that I'm not aware of. I don't particularly rate Khawaja but he was completely dudded on this occasion.

Both sides have received some really poor decisions in this series. I've never been a fan of the neutral umpire idea and the fact all but four of the so-called "elite" umpires are either Australian or English almost makes rubbish decisions inevitable.

Anyway, enough harping. Looks like we put together three decent sessions for the first time...this year, basically. Good to see Clarke give it to the doubters yet again and Smith made another good contribution. The revelation for me was Rogers' innings. I'd always thought of him as an accumulator type but that innings was almost spectacular at times.

I suppose at least Watson wasn't out lbw for once.

I hope we'll go on from here and post a really big score to finally give the bowlers something to work with. Another collapse wouldn't surprise, unfortunately.