View Single Post
Old August 2 2013, 08:02 AM   #32
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Being a TOS fan back in the day...

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
I also got into computers because of Star trek (not in the way you might think). In 1975, I found out my Jr. high school had a teletype hooked into an HP2000 mainframe via 110 baud acoustic modem; and one of the things you could do on it was play a 'Star Trek' simulation - and I was hooked

I remember that game. I was in junior high, but since I was a huge ST fan, my sister and her boyfriend invited me over to the high school to play it. The school had a Decwriter:

The only keyboard I had ever used before that day was my parents' manual (non-electric) typewriter, about 30 lbs of iron and a lot of work to operate:

So on the Decwriter they immediately had to tell me not to bang the keys so hard ("Don't kill it!").

The game as I recall was based on the Romulan attack scene in "The Deadly Years." You entered your name and became "Captain (name)", and then the machine would describe some Romulan action and say "What are your orders?" It was a novelty, but even at the time it wasn't that bitchin'. It got a little repetitive.
As to the game, nope - you commanded the 1701 - and searched an 8X8 grid (64 Quadrants) for Klingon battle cruisers to fight/repel.

A long range scan gave you a look at the quadrants nextr to your current quadrant and printed out like this:

Code:

===========
003|101|213
-----------
000|002|213  
-----------
000|201|100
===========
With:
The hundreds digit showing the number of Klingons
The tens digit showing the number of Starbases (Where you can dock/repair.)
The ones digit showing the number of Stars (blocked photon torpedoes)

Code:

---------------
. . . . . . . .
. . . E . . . .
. . . . . . . .
. . . . . * . .
. . . . . . K .
. . . . . . . .
. . K . . . . .
. . . . . B . .
---------------
E= 1701 USS Enterprise
*= Star
K = Klingon
B = Starbase

You entered commands like fire phasers (which auto-locked on - and then you had to decide how much energy to fire); or photons (and which point you had to enter a vector (1-360 degrees) setting the path along which the torp would travel. If it hit a K (Klingon) it destroyed him instantly. Phasers drew from your Energy total (as did moving at warp or Impulse - and if you got to zero energy you were dead in space, or if an enemy disruptor took you below zero energy, you blew up (IE game over). You had a stock of 10 photons too; and docking (maneuvering next to a Starbase - replenish both you energy and photon totals to max.

A couple of the things I added were:
-----------------------------------
- a chance for a Romulan to randomly decloak and fire in any quadrant you were in on occasion.

- I separated a shield rating out from the energy total - and any enemy hit over that rating took a main system offline (Warp Drive, Photons, Phasers, etc.) - and you replenished shields at your discretion (max of 250) - and it subtracted the rating from your overall energy each turn. Damaged systems were auto-repaired when you docked at a Starbase.

My local version of the game became pretty popular while I was attending the school. I don't know if they kept it stored/available after I graduated; and I kept a printout and paper tape reader copy of the code so it could be reloaded from scratch if needed.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote