View Single Post
Old July 31 2013, 10:11 PM   #89
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: 2013 NBA Offseason Thread...

Well, my Pistons made a move again. Brandon Jennings was sent to the Pistons via a sign-and-trade with the Bucks for Brandon Knight, Slava Krastov, and Khris Middelton (who turned in some big performances towards the end of last season).

The current starting five looks like this:

PG: Brandon Jennings
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
SF: Josh Smith
PF: Greg Monroe
C: Andre Drummond

My reaction is that Jennings is an upgrade over Knight at this point. Jennings, much like Billups before him, will have to change his game for the Pistons to become an elite-level team, but stranger things have happened. For the short-term, Jennings is 23 and further along in his development than Brandon Knight. He's young and experienced. He's been to the postseason. He has a 55-point game in his career.

But this is more an indictment of Knight, then it is that I'm happy about Jennings. Knight has no jumper to speak of. He can drive to the lane with the best of them, but teams can sag off him and leave him, and when Knight and Stuckey were on the floor, the two of them used to get in each other's way around the rim. The offense flowed when Will Bynum was at the point because he can do things, athletically, that Knight doesn't do.

There was no floor spacing with Knight. Now, being fair to Knight, the Pistons didn't have the best people developing him nor is he a finished product at this point. His development, although I think his ceiling is lower than Jennings, will determine the outcome of this deal. Even if the Pistons win a Championship, if Knight is All-NBA, this will be the Darko corner of that title. This is a risk, but one that I think Joe D had to take.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote