View Single Post
Old July 31 2013, 02:07 PM   #235
KGator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Psion wrote: View Post
This doesn't bode well for Pacific Rim in China.

If we're counting on Asian ticket sales to bolster the weak box office performances seen in the west, this might doom the movie.

It's a shame. I got more fun and entertainment out of this movie than anything else that came out this year. I wouldn't have minded a sequel, and felt this upped the game for next year's Godzilla.
This is a trade grievance that affects ALL hollywood films. China wants to take another 2% off the profits. If Hollywood doesn't make a stand China will keep trying to lower the profits going to the Studios. Man of Steel, Iron Man, Fast and Furious 6, Monsters University, etc, are all in the same boat.

This will get resolved. Hollywood will probably give a little because China cannot lose face but the line will be drawn.

Legendary also is partnered with China Film Group. Sometimes the Chinese company will kick in money ($15-20 million) for production and then keep the box office receipts (although I'm not sure that was the case for PR).

Either way the previous poster was right, it will be resolved eventually and isn't a long term issue.
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote