View Single Post
Old July 31 2013, 10:07 AM   #393
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

CommishSleer wrote: View Post

In TOS, chess was Spock's game. He programmed it into the computer. He got Kirk off charges with it in the Ben Finney case.
If any old person can beat Spock in chess then he isn't really the TOS Spock. He's just like a human guy with pointed ears and super strength.
I know Kirk used to beat him at chess but does Uhura need to take Kirk's place in every way with Spock?
a contradiction spotted here
you said no one can beat Spock and if someone does he's not Spock but then you said wahh Kirk did beat him (so it's ok for Kirk to beat him but not Uhura ) Uhura is replacing him.. and I'm like

you sound like one of the Kirk/Spock shippers now who believe that some things are "copyright" of them and get defensive over this kind of stuff.. and it's so not the way to judge a story.
I dunno where you get the impression that Uhura is replacing him from just the mention that she did beat Spock at chess.
I do not remember tos ever using chess as a metaphor for Spock falling in love with Kirk so unless you ship K/S and think they were lovers, Kirk and Uhura are obviously having a different place in this guy's life.

I think you're too focused on the chess thing and are missing the point. The chess game is only symbolic and no, it's not a Kirk/Spock thing. It's a Spock thing.
It's just a nerdy way the writers found to symbolize the moment where he fell in love with her and it's pretty in character to me. I don't even find it cheesy, at all.
That quote alone says a lot about their relationship and dynamic. e.g.,The fact that she wasn't offended by him thinking she couldn't beat her, his non reaction when she beat him, him giving her the king and how she understood what he was trying to tell her without him having to make explicit declarations of love.
I posted the quote alone because I was unsure if I could post the scans here, but that part has a context that is itself important. She isn't saying that just for the sake of...

This kind of arguments are becoming exhausting tbh. You don't have to like everything, far from it. But the notion that everytime we don't like something we have say that this isn't "the real trek" and "if [example of something that isn't so new to trek canon] happens then Spock isn't really the TOS Spock he's just like a human guy with pointed ears and super strength" is getting a tad boring and biased.
I see nothing OOC in that, nothing that canon hasn't already hinted anyway.
It's not the first and only example of someone beating Spock at chess so I can't see what makes this not canon or so weird only because it's Uhura, this time, the one beating him (unless you have some proof in canon that Kirk is better than Uhura at chess which I doubt you have and even in that case it wouldn't be 100% valid for this Uhura and this Kirk anyway)
and I'd really like to avoid a shipper war with K/S fans, honestly, because this sounds a lot like that and what their fans say.
I'm a tad sick and tired of people that compare two relationships that are so different and act like they're mutually exclusive when they obviously aren't.

Last edited by Malaika; July 31 2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typos etc
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote