View Single Post
Old July 31 2013, 02:13 AM   #64
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: First details of nuKhan prequel comic

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Noddy wrote: View Post
I have to say, I'll be a tad disappointed if the comic has Khan looking like Cumberpatch from the start. The character has an Indian name; it makes sense that he should start off looking like an Indian.
If he looks like Montalban, he won't look like an Indian. Montalban is a Mexican of Spanish decent.

Was anybody up in arms when it was announced that Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara) an Indian Parsi, was going to be played by English actor Russell Brand?
I think you mean Sacha Baron Cohen (Brand was never attached to the project, but just a persistent rumor) who is Israeli-English and was selected because he bears a passing resemblance to Mercury. (And who just left the that film a week ago!)

As well, we do know that they were looking for actors who did look like Montalaban, or had a similar heritage. Benecio del Toro (Puertro Rican) was in the role but left and Edgar Raimerz (Venezuelan) from Zero Dark Thirty was a contender for the role. It seems likely that somewhere around this stage Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof decided to reign in the Khan-iness and went for the more generic Harrison before putting the Khan back in. While I think Cumberbatch did a great job, there is a part of me that feels a twinge about the casting of the whitest of white guys to play Khan. I still think the most logical choice was Naveen Andrews, especially with JJ's penchant for utilizing actors he's worked with in other mediums.
You're right, it was Baron Cohen. Apparently there was a rumor Brand was going to play Freddie. Would there be as much uproar if a Hispanic actor played Khan? Which to me sounds like the old "All brown people are the same" approach common in the Hollywood of yore.

The whitest of white guys is Jim Gaffigan.