View Single Post
Old July 30 2013, 05:16 PM   #486
Donny
Commander

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I am suddenly reminded of this exchange from Star Trek IV.

Kirk: Mr. Spock, have you accounted for the variable mass of whales and water in your time re-entry program?
Spock: Mr. Scott cannot give me exact figures, Admiral, so... I will make a guess.
Kirk: A guess? You, Spock? That's extraordinary.
Spock: [to Dr. McCoy] I don't think he understands.
McCoy: No, Spock. He means that he feels safer about your guesses than most other people's facts.
Spock: Then you're saying,
[pause]
Spock: It is a compliment?
McCoy: It is.
Spock: Ah. Then, I will try to make the best guess I can.

I would say in this scenario you are Spock Donny.
That's exactly the scene that played in my head when I typed "best guess" last night

137th GebirgEspecially since, [B wrote:
Donny[/B], you're probably the only other person on the face of the Earth, who has studied the set layout to the same level of detail that would likely rival that of Mr. Jefferies himself and no other.
Thanks for the compliment. I did my first 3D rendition of some of the TOS sets way back in 2001, so my research started there (I'm 29, so I was 17 when I started). Over those 17 years, I rendered these sets in some form of another, each time building it with more detail, four times with this newest build being the fifth. So yeah, I have studied the sets immensley!

However, it should be noted, that I have had tons of help from all of you here! GSchnitzer, feek61, Robert Comsol, Mytran, blssdwlf, and others have all contributed with the research they too have done, so this is feeling more like a collaborated research effort and I'm just the one constructing it in 3D.

GSchnitzer wrote:
Also, for what it's worth, that back table had a small extension (I guess it's called "a return") over at the door end when it first appeared in "Operation Annihilate!" (The portable electron microscope is sitting on it.) Maybe that extension was removable, too.)
Actually, Greg, it looks like for "Operation Annihilate!", the position of the two tables were simply switched from how they were laid out in Seasons 2 and 3. Here's a quick rendering to show what I mean:

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote