View Single Post
Old July 30 2013, 04:35 AM   #34
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek TWOK Blue Ray oddity

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post

I don't know, but TMP looks a lot better on BluRay than it did on HDTV.
What I think they are saying is that they used the same print transfer for the Blu-ray as the HDTV streaming--NOT that they didn't improve/restore it.

In other words they used the same transfer--although they may have cleaned it up better for the Blu-ray release.
This is essentially correct. Garbage in - Garbage out as they say. The source of all the HD versions out there seem to be the same rather mediocre HD scans done circa 2001.

What the other folks are saying, I think, is why didn't they go to the orginal camera negatives and make an all-new 4k master?
Yep. I think we'd all love a proper 4k scan of all the movies and real care shown for the dirt and scratch repair, not just a quick and dirty blur (digital noise reduction) across the entire frame.

So yes, the Blu-ray can look better than the HD streaming version without being the best quality it could be.
It's funny you bring that up. There's a guy over at AVS Forum (a big A/V enthusiast forum if you've never heard of it) that does streaming versions versus DVD versus Blu-ray disc comparisons and he did TWOK.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474847/st...-vs-dvd-vs-vhs

That's a very cool link, but how did he watch 7 or 8 versions of TWOK and not notice/mention the cyan overload of the Blu-ray?

I mean we knew the Bluray was gonna win that comparison test.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote