View Single Post
Old July 30 2013, 02:03 AM   #470
Sran
Commodore

Re: MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
There was a poll recently about which players Phillies fans want traded. The list was fairly predictable (they want the bad players traded and the good players kept ), but it was interesting that 95% said "trade Papelbon."

I haven't seen his comments. But anything he's complaining about he's brought on himself. Maybe if he were actually playing quality baseball he would have room to complain (or at least the ability to attract a trade offer to a good team), but he isn't so he doesn't.
Basically, he said that he doesn't want to be stuck on a losing team year after year. Sounds to me like he's having a bit of buyer's remorse after two mediocre seasons in Philadelphia. What's funny is that he actually cited the Red Sox as the example the Phillies should try emulate as they rebuild. Didn't he say the exact opposite when he joined the Phillies? I seem to remember him saying that it would be nice to play for an organization that understood winning after he left Boston before the 2012 season.

In any case, I don't have much sympathy for him given that he complained his way out of Boston. I can empathize with the players who helped make the Phillies a contending team (Howard, Utley, Hamels, etc.) who now have to watch what they built fall apart (as their bodies fall apart). I can also root for someone like Lee, who's never done anything but give his effort on the mound in every one of his starts. But Papelbon should just STFU. He's a tool who doesn't seem to realize that he's no longer good enough to be sounding off through the media, or that it's not smart to throw his teammates under the bus (again).

--Sran