View Single Post
Old July 30 2013, 12:25 AM   #36
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile
Re: What novel can you re-read all the time?

There are certain books that I like so much and could re-read over and over again that I purposely DON'T read except for once a year, so that, like fine wine, can be enjoyed and savored and be fresh each time.

The first on the list is Voyager: Full Circle by Kirsten Beyer . That book is so touching, yet adventurous at the same time. I was never a big fan of Chakotay but my heart really broke for him in that story and made me not only a fan of Chakotay, but finally accept him as captain of Voyager. Beyer knows these characters, and even better, loves them as well as we do. It shows. She took Voyager from the episodic and brought it into the epic. Full Circle, was like Star Trek Voyager: The Motion Picture. Everyone book following this one was like going to a movie sequel, a treatment the Voyager storyline, desperately needed. I get what someone was saying about Janeway being dead, yet alive in Full Circle. She impacts the narrative and the last scene with Janeway and Torress, where she goes to confront B'eLanna about the holoemitter really made you sad that you knew she was dead, like you would an old friend.

The next is Ex Machina by Christopher L. Bennett. TMP was the first STar Trek movie I ever saw and it was in a drive in theater at that! I don't remember the story from that night but what I do remember, which is why I fell in love with Star Trek at such a young age, was that the Enterprise, being huge and breath taking on that massive screen, became my first love. My favorite seen in the novel was in the beginning when Kirk couldn't take his eyes of the refit Enterprise, reminding me how I felt when I first saw it. It was the one thing Kirk and I had in common, our love for the ship. And in ways none of the other Trek captains have seen doing since then. The novel not only takes me back to that time but also is a great sequel to the movie. I could see this book easily being made into a motion picture sequel that made it to film. Plus after TMP focusing so much on Kirk and Spock it was great to see McCoy get some character time. And really good to see the ship and crew in the second DTI novel.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote