View Single Post
Old July 29 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
dansigal
Lieutenant Commander

2013 Hugo Nominees

Is anyone following the Hugo nominees for best novel in 2012?

I'm trying to get through all of them before the winner is announced at the end of August. So far I have been slightly underwhelmed:

Redshirts - I actually enjoyed this book a ton for most of it. Very tongue in cheek, very funny for any Star Trek fan. It was a little short though and I disliked the way it ended, which kind of left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. I thought it could have been a bit more developed.

Throne of the Crescent Moon - Solid book but didn't really blow me away. I like Arab fantasy, though I admit I don't read much of it. It's the first in a series, and while I like the world and I see the potential, it felt more like set up for a bigger story than a story in itself.

2312 - Reading this book has been agony. It is hard hard science fiction, with often long drawn out explanations of the speculative science which I simply do not care about. To be fair, I haven't finished it yet, I've made it through 400/560 pages before I had to take a break and move on to something else. But I've found the characters and plot completely uninteresting and dull.

Deadline - This book is the third in a zombie trilogy which I had not read. I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm about half way through the second book. However, if Deadline is anywhere near the quality of the first two, its a runaway winner for my favorite of the lot. Fast paced plotting and story. A very interesting and well developed zombie scenario. Plus fun and interesting characters.

Captain Vorpatrilís Alliance - Opted not to read this one because its like the 15th book in a series, and that's not a commitment I was prepared to take on, so I can't speak to its quality.
dansigal is offline   Reply With Quote