View Single Post
Old July 28 2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

Re: Revisiting TAS...

Harvey wrote: View Post
Paramount didn't have a copyright on the original episodes?
Again: all I know is what it says onscreen. I'm not an expert, I'm just looking at the pictures and extrapolating. I didn't see an onscreen Paramount copyright on TAS, although they do have a copyright on the novelizations.

But, that wasn't my question. I wanted to know if Paramount bought the rights from Roddenberry/Norway at some point, which your statement implied they did sometime after the animated series.
Well, how could they not have? The modern status quo for a long time has clearly been that Paramount is the sole owner of ST and the Roddenberrys have no control over what's done with it. There's never been a copyright for Norway or Roddenberry on any Trek production or publication post-TMP, only for Paramount. Every Trek book I've ever written has been copyrighted by Paramount, or as it's now called, CBS, and my contracts have designated me as a contractor working for Paramount/CBS. No mention of Roddenberry or Norway in any way, shape, or form. So how could Paramount not have acquired full ownership from Roddenberry at some point? If they didn't buy Roddenberry's copyright, the only other possibility I can think of is that he let it lapse somehow, but I don't know if that makes sense since it should've taken longer to lapse.

I believe you're right that Norway doesn't get credit on anything past TMP, but the budget for TUC does include the language "RIGHTS PURCHASED, GENE RODDENBERRY, (NORWAY CORP.)" for the price of $1,000,000.
That was around the time he died, wasn't it? So maybe the family, or Roddenberry's lawyer, sold the rights then.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote