View Single Post
Old July 27 2013, 02:04 PM   #345
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: Mulgrew so awful to Jeri Ryan she had to date Braga for protection

TheSubCommander wrote: View Post
Why has Wang never directed anything since? All current Trek actor/directors got their break on Trek and continued on to other shows. I think it would be very hard to break out as a director on a new show. ___________
But if the producers felt one has to be able to act, before they can direct, that would explain why Garrote Wang never directed! Not to mention, Wang had no work ethic and was busy partying all the time. So why reward bad behavior and lack of talent?
Geez, I don't know where to start. First of all.... Garrote? Secondly, who says Garrett Wang can't act? Maybe you should at least admit that the writers hardly gave him any meaty material to sink his teeth in. But when he did get a well written episode, he really showed that he can act and was willing and able to go the extra mile. Examples? Non Sequitur, The Chute and especially Timeless. Thirdly, no work ethic? You and I are in no position to judge him on his work ethic. I never knew until Karabear mentioned it a couple of posts above, that Wang apparently was often times late for work. Was that because he was partying all the time? I don't know. Did he change his ways and started taking his work seriously? Apparently so, since he eventually stayed on the show for the entire seven season run. His desire to want to direct for the show to me seems proof that he was personally invested and interested in the show from a creative standpoint.

Wang not getting any acting gigs post Voyager sort of proves that theory.
How often do you see Gates Mcfadden, Marina Sirtis, Ethan Phillips or Robert Beltran on the screen after Trek? Almost never. Do they all have a poor work ethic? Of course not. There's probably a multitude of reasons why they never had big parts in the business again. Wang probably knew that Trek actors often have a hard time finding acting parts after their Trek stint. It's probably the reason why he and others wanted to direct. And while Robert duncan McNeill and Roxann Dawson have hardly acted at all since Voyager, they now have a steady jobs directing for some great tv shows.